26 January 2011

Stress is a four-letter word

My family doesn't handle stress well. We get bitchy, we say things we don't mean, we cry and yell at intervals and if none of that works, we have heart attacks.
My grandmother is in the hospital and is slated to return home today, but sadly, it hasn't been her little stay-cation that's stressed us out so much as the impending return home. My nanna, like most elderly people who have lived life to the fullest, is losing her memory, and because of that is depressed. Her living arrangements are not working, so she is moving in with us on a permanent basis.
At some point in our lives it becomes our duty to care for our elders. Native Americans used to bestow more honor and attention on the elderly in their tribes because those people had earned it.
That doesn't happen in my family. My nanna is lucky if she gets to see all of her children in the same room for more than five minutes a year.
When my grandfather was alive we were all much better about staying in touch and visiting. Now we all have responsibilities and babies and no desire to visit. I hate that the most.
In any case, this is just one more facet of an already stressed out person, and right now - when I can't quite move out yet - I don't want to talk weddings, and I don't want to exercise because I have to fit in a dress. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, I need the exercise to de-stress.
Or I'll be the one in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment