25 January 2011

Warning: I am about to bitch

I love my sister, and I love my mother. Let me just get that out there first.
Having said that, I am so aggravated with the two of them I can't even sit in the same room as them.
I realize this is my sister's wedding, and what she wants is what she will get. I also realize this is not my wedding.
But I am sick-and-fucking-tired of being treated like the single sister who is headed for the nunnery and therefore knows JACK SHIT about anything having to do with a relationship.
Believe it or not, I know a few things about asking questions, which makes up 80 percent of planning a wedding. The other 20 is making a decision based on the answers to those questions.
I used to be a reporter, so let me be quite plain:
IT DOES NOT HURT TO ASK QUESTIONS!!
Twice now I have been blasted by my beloved sister and mother after suggesting she/they ask a question at a venue. First, I told the bride to ask about their Sunday rates, because it doesn't hurt to at least have the information.
"No. That's not even an option so I'm not even going to ask."
Today, I suggested she ask about a kitchen at one of her next appointments, an opera house, and was thereby blasted by the mother-of-the-bride.
"We don't need a fucking kitchen. We're not doing anything that includes a kitchen" Nevermind the fact you'll be hiring an outside caterer for that event and they'll likely charge you more to wash them off site.
But again, I have this burning rationality: what harm is there in asking a question?!?
I know she's the bride and it's the first time she's planned a wedding. But it's the first time I've been a Maid of Honor and this constant bitching about how any idea or suggestion I come up with is just not good enough or fucking retarded is seriously starting to piss me off.
And my Bridesmaid Handbook says I have to shut up and take it. I also have choice in the dress I have to pay for, have to somehow be the middle man between the bride and whoever is pissing her off, I have to hold her dress when she pees and calm her down when she freaks out, which is daily. And I have to do all of this with a smile on my face and I'm supposed to be honored.
Don't get me wrong; I am honored. I am happy she trusts me the most, but right this moment, with all the shit I've gotten in the past two days, I feel like she chose me for this spot because she had to, not because she wanted to. It seems like an opinion from anybody else would be thought on, if not agreed with. Especially if it came from my cousin Sarah, who Robin believes the sun shines out of her ass.
I'm not doing anything right and it's stressing me out because apparently I can't tell what she wants, which makes me feel like a selfish cow. I don't understand what she wants because she keeps flipping her decisions and she doesn't even have a date yet.
I had to work today, so I couldn't join her on her venue tour. But she also didn't text me about any of them, and she got pissed off when I went to the gym after work, which I'm doing FOR HER WEDDING!!
I can't win. And right now I have to play nice. But I seriously don't know what to do, and I can't keep this up. I'm getting frustrated and upset and even the sound of her laughter is grating on my nerves.
But how do I hide this? I can't keep getting frustrated with her and my mom, but it's too like me to fight back. I have to figure out a way to listen without hearing. And just nod and say, "uh-huh."
Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment